Monday, September 15, 2008

Back to School

The essential study materials: an ipod, gum, water bottle and of course, the book.


I am an Athletic Training major. I can't tell you how many times I have announced that to rooms full of people in the last couple weeks. There are a lot of people that aren't really even aware that this major exsits. That's because, it sucks all the spare moments out of your life. Ok, ok, maybe it's not that bad. But believe me, it's time-consuming. Athletic Training is a two year program. Each semester, you are assigned to work with a different BYU sports team. I know, cool right? This fall, I am working with the women's soccer team. And it really is fun. And I think they hate the time commitment as much as we do. So at least we're all in it together. We (meaning the other athletic training students and I) are required to be there Monday-Friday from 12-4 during their practices. And then there are games. Usually, that requires about a six hour period of time. It is a pain when trying to attend fun parties (ok, you got me, I'm not invited to many of those...) or hang out with friends. However, once you get past the time commitment, mixing up gallons of Powerade and filling up 30 water bottles, I think it really is what I want to do with my life. And on a plus side, I guess since they take up so much of your time out of class, they try to keep the workload in the actual classes fairly manageable. All in all, not bad. That's just a little update on school.



For any of you who are familiar with the BYU campus, all of my classes but one are in the Smith Field House. That's "lower" campus for lack of a better term. In years previous, I have utilized the Harold B. Lee Library with the best of them. But this year, going all the way "up there" just doesn't make any sense. As a result, I study in this hallway:



And this is how I feel about it:



You see, it wouldn't be a bad hallway but the weight room is right up those stairs you see on the right. So, in the period of an hour or so, about 100 people walk back and forth past you. For an avid people-watcher like me, that equals a huge hindrance to the amount of work I am able to accomplish.

3 comments:

Ashley Shae said...

Ali! Glad to see that you are going to keep up the blog...they are always hilarious! It sounds like they are keeping you nice and busy. We'll have to catch up one of these days! Until then I guess I will just be an avid reader... Take care.

Stefanie Elyse said...

Did you know that is the same hallway where I got my lips sucked off by a dry-iced popsicle? Oh the memories...

Jennifer said...

Umm... I have to be honest. This picture of you with the pen hanging out of your mouth is my favorite one on the whole blog! :)