Sunday, November 16, 2008

All we are, we are

Just one of the many deep statements transmitted through the music of the one and only Matt Nathanson. I know, most of you probably have no idea who he is. He’s incredible. That’s really all you need to know. A couple weeks ago, a friend tipped me off that he was coming to Salt Lake to perform for a mere $12! So of course, I alerted the forces and we went. Megan and I had to meet the group there considering we were literally running out of a racquetball tournament to get there on time, but luckily we made it in time to even see a little bit of the opening band, The Break and Repair Method. They were actually really good. We bought the CD.


The man himself.

Molly, falling in love with Matt Nathanson.

Matt and his band were pretty incredible. He was a really funny entertaining guy. I think Molly fell in love, and the rest of us just enjoyed seeing along to songs we know only too well. What fun.

Turns out, we had a pretty big group. Who knew?

Also, this concert was at The Avalon. It took a phone call with Mom for that name to really resonate with me. The Avalon is an old movie theater in downtown Salt Lake that my mom used to go to all the time as a kid. Even more exciting, my grandparents went on their first date there! My uncle is an artist and has recently taken to re-doing vintage signs and made one of the Avalon for my grandma and it is now hanging in her kitchen. Oddly enough, we went to visit her the day after the concert , so Brian and I took a picture of ourselves standing outside with the sign. Upon future comparison, we discovered that my uncle is a genius and replicated the sign almost exactly. Just a fun fact.

And maybe if I have time I’ll try to figure out how to get some of Matt Nathanson’s music to stream on my blog…

1 comment:

jefebarrio said...

hey buddy i just rediscovered your blog as i went through deleting emails. im so happy about this matt nathanson thing. because i love hi...s music. i didn't go to the concert but i don't really know why not, i guess it was the date. anyway i think that's awesome you went and enjoyed. carry on!