Saturday, January 17, 2009

Remember Lot's Wife


This Tuesday, I almost didn't go to devotional.  We have these weekly at 11 am.  At 10 on Tuesdays I have a class in the Smith Fieldhouse.  Anyone familiar with the BYU campus knows that this building is not really close to any of the key buildings on campus.  In order to go to devotional, I have to walk up a very large number of stairs and then find a building that the devotional is actually playing in and isn't already packed with people.  And then I have to rush back down to the fieldhouse for gymnastics practice at noon.  A terrible excuse, trust me, I know. 

 So, this past Tuesday, the devotional was Elder Holland.  He is hands down my favorite apostle.  I think I like him because everything he says just seems to be dripping with power.  He's one of those pulpit yellers and hitters and what can I say, I like his enthusiasm.  So I realized, at about 10:45, that I needed to watch it.  Dreading my walk back up to "upper campus" I left my class.  I don't know why it took me so long to realize this, but as I was walking out of the building, I remembered that there are like three TVs in/near the athletic training room where I spend all of my time.  So I parked myself in the doctor's office waiting room, seconds from where I had had class, with my lunch. :)  And I sat there, by myself, for the entire devotional.  I don't know if word has leaked out yet, but I really think this is the best devotional I have ever heard.  It's called "Remember Lot's Wife" and focuses on forgetting the past and moving on to the future.  It's not like I'm stuck in the past or anything, but this devotional really spoke to me.  I wanted to put a link of the written copy up here but turns out BYU makes these devotionals kind of hard to get a hold of.  So here is a link to an mp3 file of his talk.  If you can find the time, or even if you can't--read it.  It's awesome.

2 comments:

Megan said...

I agree ali...that was truly the best devotional I have heard. I am so glad that you found the link because I was just thinking that I wanted to read it again. Thanks.

Julie T said...

Never met her, but many people say she was the salt of the earth! I actually would love the link if you ever see it as it sounds just perfect for a new convert I VT that got offended and won't let it go.